Thursday, December 17, 2009

Desert Venture

Driving the lonely highways of the desert cacti shadow the moon,
Against a looming mountain range the shadows are darkly black,
Racing the rising sun, the stripes in the road begin a fast swoon,
Lessons learned strike like the charisma of a worn, tattered sack.

Eager for the sun, creatures begin their stirring through the flatness,
Needing rest, I pulled off to the side and sought the shade of a cacti,
Eyeing the beautiful starkness of the view surrounding my loneliness,
Increasing heat expands latent sweat targeting my slits for eyes.

Senses nurtured by easy aromas of a sweet and barren desert
Freed by tiny wisps of wind a small dandelion floats toward me,
Until the breeze abruptly stops the remains fall toward a sand sea,
Now rested and awed by the wonder I soak the view into my heart.

Robert Dodson
December 17, 2009

7 comments:

Gayle McCain said...

Nicely done, Robert. It reminds me for some reason of the song "I drove all night."

Clearly not talking about a December morning in Texas, sweat trickling down... I've been in Texas in December, it's cooler than that. ; )

I like it, btw.

Gayle McCain

AnnetteR said...

Lovely poem, Robert! Very evocative...I can picture myself being there. And I'm not even a fan of deserts! lol Can still appreciate their certain beauty, though.

Colonel Dodson said...

Thank you Gayle for your kind words. I was thinking about summer time as I wrote the poem.

Colonel Dodson said...

Thanks Annette for your kind words, AS the song goes "Everything is beautiful". WE just need to open our eyes and see the loveliness.

Neuro Aster (a.k.a. Jon Pear) said...

What an enchanting experience it is to read this :) It never occurred to me that one might see ANY beauty in a desert, let alone that such "a sand sea" might actually have "sweet" "aromas" or even a "dandelion floating" in "the breeze" "[f]reed by tiny wisps of wind" . . .

You know, even here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada- in July and August, our hottest months-I've had that experience of "latent sweat targeting my slits for eyes." Although reading this is probably the closest I am EVER gonna get to Texas in my lifetime LOL :D

Love your stuff, man :)

Colonel Dodson said...

Thank you Jon for those kind words. I was mainly thinking of the desert in the Southwest,Arizona and Nevada. I had forgotten that Texas does have desert country. Beauty can be found anywhere if we open our eyes andjust see it. Sweet aromas just sounded better than sour or some such word. I might have left that off and it may have been more imaginative.

Anonymous said...

reminds me of our Sonoran Desert here in beautiful Arizona... nice to meet you in Twitter as well as 140mafia. Beautiful poem! The desert is to be enjoyed, admired, respected and sometimes feared...there is definite beauty in a desert!

Kathy Woolley
ps my Bryan,fiance, is also a orange/red hair Irish man!