Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Whispered Wind

Whispered wind brings a hint of winter snow,
Gazing through bleary eyes breath escapes,
Lifeless looking trees show stark beauty low,
The soft blanketed meadow has lusty shapes.

Evergreens flounder with weighted boughs,
The ant sized figures trek up gentle field,
They grow larger as the journey slows,
The stand of spruce beckons for eyes steeled.

The father rests the axe in marshmallow snow,
Happily the boy points toward a majestic tree,
Nodding, the father chops the tree steadily.
Soon they tow the tree down, eyes a glow.

Robert Dodson
December 9, 2009

5 comments:

Gayle McCain said...

I have a bone to pick with you. I was warm until I read your this post. Grrrrrr - squinty eyed glare. LOL

Thanks Robert, well written, vivid.

Gayle McCain
gaylemccain.blogspot.com
faithfultoyourjourney.blogspot.com

Colonel Dodson said...

Sorry to make you cold, but winter tends to be cold in these parts. Just trying to paint a winter scene. Thanks for the lovely and kind words.

Neuro Aster (a.k.a. Jon Pear) said...

Very vivid, describes the city of Winnipeg where I live right about now LOL :D We're definitely "soft blanketed" with "marshmallow snow" right now, although I've never actually seen an evergreen chopped down, I've only seen Christmas trees pre-chopped, so to speak :) And yet, I can almost feel as if I have had the experience of chopping down an evergreen, the way you describe how the "[e]vergreens flounder with weighted boughs" and how "[t]he father rests the axe" and how "they tow the tree down, eyes a glow" Very effective :)

Colonel Dodson said...

Thank you for the kind words. I've neber been to Winnipeg. Glad to know you enjoyed the poem. Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Very nice indeed Robert! Felt like I was there; describes what winter and holidays mean to a Canadian and those in the colder climates of the US. :o) thanks again for sharing your talent ~ LauraT from twitter