Sunday, June 09, 2013


What If

As I approach and live my last years, I reflect on my life. I wonder about the if’s, could’s, what’s and all the other events of my life. Most others have done this once or twice themselves. Admit it. I know I cannot change the past, nor do I want to. I just wonder about what if I did this or did not make that choice. You get the idea. There is one event which occurred in my life I am always drawn to and how my life turned out because of that event.

When I was a sophomore in high school, a student approached me about becoming a member of a group in which he belonged. I listened to his pitch and agreed to join him. Because of that decision, the majority of my working career revolved around the position I held. This organization prepared me for my life as a contributing adult in the work force. The training they gave me helped me through various, but related fields of endeavor.

There are many organizations available for high-schoolers to join which can determine their future. Some are better than others. The one I was involved in was the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC). My duty assignment was in battalion headquarters as a supply clerk. For nearly thirty years, I worked in places where I handled, displayed, stocked and did other tasks related to supplies or products.

The “what if” of my life is what if a Christian youth had asked me to join a Christian organization? Can you see the implications? I might never have fallen in with the wrong crowd, found drugs or alcohol, been arrested several times or almost die twice. Eventually I did find God on my own through a twelve step alcohol program.

This is why it is so very important to obey the “Great Commission” of Matthew 28:18-20. Youth can change the future. They can share their testimony and help lead others to Christ. They can make a difference! I call on the young people of the world to have the courage to share Jesus at every opportunity. The life you change might be yours or someone else’s. You may never know who or how many you help. But if you do not share Jesus, the number helped will be zero.

Do not be afraid to open your mouth and share. God will be with you to hold you and strengthen you. Isaiah 41:10 states: “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with My righteous right hand.” Let the Holy Spirit fill your heart and begin telling others about Jesus. Now!
 
Robert Dodson
June 8, 2013

No comments: